- 1935 The state of WI chartered Mosinee Paper Credit Union.
- 1985 The credit union moved to 1105 Western Avenue in Mosinee.
- 1987 We acquired Murray Employees Credit Union, Wausau, and Co-Ci Credit Union, Stevens Point.
- 1996 Dairymen's Credit Union, Junction City, merged with us.
- 1998 Our name was changed to Valley Communities Credit Union, reflecting our service to those who live and work in the central Wisconsin valley.
- 2006 Thorogood Credit Union in Marshfield merged with Valley Communities Credit Union. Port Credit Union in Port Edwards and Wisconsin Rapids joined us as well.
- 2013 Valley Communities Credit Union opened a new office in Kronenwetter in August.
- 2018 Worzalla Publishing Employees Credit Union joined Valley Communities Credit Union.
Mosinee Paper Credit Union was chartered by the State of Wisconsin on April 11, 1935. It was to serve the employees of Mosinee Paper Corporation and their families. The Credit Union initially operated from the punch house at the Paper Mill where volunteer directors would conduct business there with a notebook or scraps of paper.
The Credit Union enjoyed a slow, steady growth until the 1970’s. At that time the Credit Union relocated to 201 Main Street in downtown Mosinee. The charter was expanded to add those families and individuals living or working in the city of Mosinee. Later in the decade, surrounding townships were included.
In the 1980’s the pace of growth increased as the charter was expanded to include all those living or working in Marathon County. In 1985 the Credit Union relocated to our present main Office location at 1105 Western Avenue, in Mosinee.
The first of our mergers/acquisitions also took place in the 1980’s. In 1987 we acquired Murray Employees Credit Union and Co-Ci Credit Union. Murray Employees Credit Union was located in Wausau. Co-Ci Credit Union was located in Stevens Point. Our charter was then expanded to include Portage County. We originally were in their building at 2325 Wyatt Avenue, but now operate out of a newer facility located at 2940 Church Street in Stevens Point.
In June of 1996, Dairymen’s Credit Union in Junction City became part of our credit Union. They were absorbed into our Stevens Point office. With this merger, we added parts of Wood County to our charter area.
In 1998, our Credit Union name was changed to Valley Communities Credit Union. This name reflects what we are and who we serve today. A Credit Union made up of multiple offices in the Wisconsin Valley proudly serving those who live and work here
In March 2006, Thorogood Credit Union in Marshfield merged with Valley Communities Credit Union. They continue to operate from the building at 2011 S. Roddis Avenue. In December of 2006, Port Credit Union in Port Edwards and Wisconsin Rapids joined us with an office at 140 Market Avenue in Port Edwards, and 440 8th Street South in Wisconsin Rapids. With the Port Credit Union merger, we added Adams County to our charter area.
August 26, 2013, we opened a new office in Kronenwetter to serve our members. The Kronenwetter office gave us a total of five locations in the central WI area.
Most recently in 2018, Worzalla Publishing Employees Credit Union joined Valley Communities Credit Union.
Our credit union’s current charter area includes all persons who live, work, or own property in Adams, Clark, Juneau, Lincoln, Marathon, Portage, Shawano, Waupaca, Waushara or Wood counties.
Our focus has always been and remains dealing with our member-owners on a personal basis with their consumer and mortgage loan needs. Valley Communities Credit Union is committed to continue growing in assets and membership. We plan to serve our current and future member-owners with a full range of services that will remain competitive in the financial marketplace.